The other day I was flipping through the channels on TV searching for an entertaining way to waste a few minutes. I came across a show that I have watched a number of times years ago and since forgotten. The show is called “Inside the Actors Studio” it’s an interview show and a study for aspiring acting students. I have no interest in acting nor was I particularly interested in the actor being interviewed but I was fascinated by the questions that were being asked.
I have watched enough of these shows to see the way it works. The beginning of the show they review the history of the actor and are filled with accolades from the host. Then the host moves into pointed questions for the actor to answer. These seem to be designed to pull some kind of acting secret from the actor for the students to learn from. After a bit of this the audience gets to ask the questions. It’s the last 5% of the show that I want to see. The host asks 10 questions, they are always the same for every guest. A lot of the time, the answers to these last 10 questions are more informative than the previous 95% of the interview.
The show and its questions got me to thinking, why do people put so much weight into what actors think? I guess because we see actors all the time on TV and in Movies we feel close to them in some strange way. It is hard work, and I am glad that actors are here for my entertainment, however wouldn’t it be interesting to here what other people have to say? So I am steeling the 10 questions for my own use. The host of “Inside the Actors Studio” stole the questions from Bernard Pivot who got the idea from Marcel Proust. So I guess there is honor among thieves as long as the victims are recognized.
I do not feel comfortable asking of my fellow blogers questions that I am not willing to divulge myself.
- What is your favorite word? Fnord.
- What is your least favorite word? No
- What turns you on [creatively, spiritually or emotionally]? Nude women. (Not pornographic) Most women are beautiful; all are fun to look at.
- What turns you off? Arrogant people who expound their poor logic with bad reason.
- What sound or noise do you love? Thunder
- What sound or noise do you hate? Piezoelectric chirping in restaurants.
- What is your favorite curse word? Bullshit
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Writer or Teacher.
- What profession would you not like to do? A Policeman in a big city.
- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “I am sending you back, your not done yet”
See other interviews on these pages:
Interview: Turkish Prawn