Last night I got an e-mail from my boss saying that my trip to Spain (Leon) was in jeopardy due to the ash cloud from Eyjafjallajokull. (ay-yah-FYAH’-plah-yer-kuh-duhl) The e-mail said to check my e-mail again at 5am and a decision will be made whether or not to delay the trip. The next morning (This morning) 5am rolls around and no e-mail, so I figured it was still on. At 5:45 my lovely wife and not so lovely son drive me to the airport. A little after 6am I get an e-mail that the show is off and we will be rescheduling the meeting. We stopped for breakfast before going back home. Our flights were just fine, no delay; it was the team from Denmark and China that couldn’t get to Spain in time to make the meeting worth while.
I am not sure how I feel about this turn of events. I did a lot of prep work for this meeting, and I was/am really excited to be part of this group. I also did a lot of extra work getting my night classes ready for my absence, assigning homework, tests, etc. Now I have to call the whole thing off and go back to normal. On the other hand I really hate traveling and feel a great sense of relief. I am a largish man and the prospect of being a size 13 human forced into a size 8 shoe for 12 hours is a bit unnerving. So naturally I feel relieved, but also disappointed.
It is surprisingly tiring to deal with conflicting emotions.