You may or may not know it, but I work for a community college in Northern Colorado. When I was first hired, I was surprised that a small community college with out a sports program would have a mascot. I am embarrassed to admit it but we do, it’s an Aardvark.
At first I thought that this was some kind of joke. Where I grew up schools had fearsome mascots like the Bull Dog, Lions, Tigers, Bears, (oh my) and other dangerous animals. It appears that my childhood impressions were wrong. (Suprise)
How many other colleges have bizarre mascots?
Thank goodness for the internet. After a quick search and some editing I created a nice list of stupid college mascots. I know there are lots of others. I edited out the really strange ones that don’t have any obvious meaning or are after objects rather than animals. What I was looking for were odd animals that the school thought would be a good representation for their sports teems.
After creating this list I feel much better. I bet our Aardvark could kick most of these mascots’ asses.
- California- Irvine Anteaters
- California- Santa Cruz Banana Slugs
- Delaware Fighting Blue Hens
- Eastern Arizona Gila Monsters
- Evergreen State Geoducks “Gooey ducks”
- Muskingham Fighting Muskies
- Oregon Tech Hustlin’ Owls
- South Carolina Gamecocks
- Southern Arkansas- Monticello Bollweevils
- Texas Christian Horned Frogs
- Wisconsin- Sheboygan Wombats
By the way, how do you get a horned frog to convert? Baptism?